Friday, May 4, 2007

Home Care this Week

As the founder of a successful senior home care agency in Massachusetts, I get to see the most wonderful situations and the saddest situations that occur with our seniors. It is heart warming to see the families that sacrifice their lives for their elder who suffers from advanced dementia and it is heart breaking to see the elder that lives alone and has no one that cares for them except their home health aide.

This week I met a family that has been caregiving their 90 year old mother with Alzheimer's Disease for five years. From 9 AM to 5 PM, one sister does all the care. Her mother is advanced and losing her language skills, so she needs to be supervised every minute. This daughter is relieved by her brother and his wife for the overnight shift and the weekend. The care and example that this mother must have given her children must have been extraordinary. Their dedication is unwavering. The son and his wife have not slept at their own house for five years.

When I look at my kids, I wonder if they would do that for me? Would I want them to?

No comments: